Before you or your contractor buy paint, find out exactly how much you'll need. If more than one room is being painted with the same colour, add up the total square footage.
PLEASE NOTE: These calculations are not intended to give more than a rough estimate. Precise paint needs will vary according to many factors, including application method. These calculations assume 2 coats of paint and do not include the ceiling.
TINTED PRODUCT IS NOT RETURNABLE
Use the following formula to estimate the amount of wall paint you need. Double the result if the walls require two coats.
1. Add together the length of each wall.
2. Multiply the sum by the wall height, to find the total wall area.
3. Subtract 20 square feet for each door (20 × 2 = 40) to find the actual amount of wall area you’re painting.
4. Divide this figure by the paint coverage (350 square feet per gallon), and the result is the number of gallons to purchase for one coat.
5. Multiply this figure by 2 and the result is the number of gallons to purchase for two coats.